Friday 3 May 2019

Thank You for Not Smoking

Horseshoe Bay - Nanaimo 

Tuesday 23 April 2019

Whilst the debate over the abolition of smoking in public spaces rages on in the UK, Canada has taken another step and has legalised the use of Marijuana. But before I get too far into this blog, I should state that I have no particular leanings either way on the legalisation of cannabis. It’s not something that I have spent a lot of time considering. So to me, trading smoking in enclosed public spaces for getting high in a public park seems reasonable. I’m not going to do either so that’s as far as my internal deliberation got. Now if they were to allow it in the workplace I might be interested! It would certainly make Mondays go with a bit more swing.

Despite my fence sitting stance, I can say that it does give Vancouver a rather pungent odour. Rather sweet and sickly and it takes a while to get used to it being normal. 

It doesn’t seem to have had a negative effect on the streets of Vancouver. It would be interesting to see what the crime statistics are since the legalisation, or for that matter the level of pizza sales in the downtown area. There are a lot of pizza joints, I wonder if they have always been there? 

It also lead to a rather unusual request. 

We were setting off from Horseshoe Bay on a car ferry towards Vancouver Island, and had just settled down to our second breakfast (well it was 10am!), when the ship’s tannoy crackled into life. “May we remind you that this is a no smoking vessel and that smoking is prohibited anywhere on the vessel. This includes the outdoor areas. Could the person who is smoking marijuana on the deck please stop because we can smell it in the bridge and the Captain is getting stoned, and believe you me this is not something that anyone wants. Just to be on the safe side, however, we have ordered pizzas.” 

Well it was something like that. I may have misheard. Thankfully we got to our destination in one piece and without any mishaps, although the vessel did seem to take a rather circulatory route!




No comments:

Post a Comment